DER has assembled a list of resources for our community with information we hope will assist you with your work and your organization’s communications and fundraising efforts during the Coronavirus pandemic.
If you have resources you think we should share, or ideas for how DER could support you during this time, please fill out this short online form.
Articles, webinar videos, and resources:
- 20% of Donors On Sideline Waiting For End Of COVID: Nonprofit Times article on the results from the Dunham+Company survey of donors and their giving plans.
- Just 6% Of Nonprofits Expect Increased Revenue – The Nonprofit Times: Survey results on the impact for nonprofits.
- The Impact of COVID on the social sector: An infographic that shows the impact of COVID-19 on the social sector (impact on revenue, staff furloughs), as found in a March 2020 survey collected by LaPiana Consulting.
- McKinsey Coronavirus Business Outlook: Two scenarios for recovery of the economy: better case, Q4 2020; worse case, Q2 2021
- The Four Possible Timelines for Life Returning to Normal: Four scenarios for when life can return to normal: best case, 1-2 months; worst case, 12-18 months… or more.
- TechSoup Launches COVID-19 Response Fund: How TechSoup is helping organizations through the crisis. They will underwrite technology hardware and tools, training and services, with a particular focus on supporting small organizations that provide social services.
- The Dos and Don’ts of Online Video Meetings: Best practices and tips related to technology, meeting practices, and backup options.
- A Guide to Remote Working for Nonprofits: How remote work can work for your organization, potential drawbacks for nonprofits, what you need to consider when implementing.
- COVID-19 Resources for California’s Nonprofits: CalNonprofits’ list of resources.
- Do You Have Your Priorities Straight?: Tips from Mission Minded on meeting priorities.
- Leaders at CCS Fundraising Offer Perspectives on COVID-19: Downloadable webinar and slides on how to employ the timeless principles of fundraising: increase communications; communicate financial impact; leverage technology; consider special fundraising initiatives; consider special briefings; avoid whole cancellation of fundraising plans; develop a short-term action plan; reaffirm your mission and impact; motivate your stakeholders; show empathy and concern for your stakeholders.
- CCS WEBINAR: Principles of Fundraising Navigating the Challenges Presented by Coronavirus: Webinar video – Timeless principles for fundraising, and how they apply during the coronavirus response.
Stewardship and Communications
- List of COVID-19 Foundation & Nonprofit Communications Examples + Resources: Find and use examples of communications from your peers — from event cancellations to external messages and lots more
- Crisis Communication Resource Guide: Coronavirus Disease 2019: Built by and for foundations & nonprofit organizations supporting communities at the local, regional, national, and global scale. You have permission to take content directly from this and modify it for your purposes as needed.
- Effective Marketing Communication Strategies for Nonprofits: Marketing tips during COVID-19 to ensure long-term success.
- Communicating With Major Donors During These Times: 9 Tips for talking with major donors.
- Why Your Capital Campaign Needs a New Communications Plan NOW: Critical needs aren’t going away — develop a communications plan NOW to ensure that your capital campaign stays on track.
- Nonprofit Times Webinars: including messaging to donors and COVID-19 & Nonprofit response to Health, Fundraising, and Risk Assessment
- 3 Parts Of COVID-19 Communication: Tips to maintain the community within your organization, and your organization’s connection to the community it serves.
- What to do right now: Story Collection on Social Media: Ask your donors to submit THEIR stories on social media.
- 10 Important Donor Types To Communicate To During the Coronavirus Outbreak: Describes 10 distinct donor segments to target for immediate communications.
- Experts Urge Charities to Communicate Their Needs Clearly to Their Donors: Communicate clearly to your supporters in the community what your status is as honestly as you can and ask for the kind of help you really need.
- Tips for Communicating with Donors During Uncertain Times: Practical tips to build and maintain donor relationships.
Fundraising Tactics and Strategies
- The Lilly Family School of Philanthropy and COVID-19: Blogs and media from their scholars on fundraising and other topics.
- Going Virtual: 4 Ways to Keep Your Charity Auction Exciting: How to take your silent auction online to raise funds.
- During Fear & Uncertainty – How to Fundraise?: Webinar video- How to communicate during times of uncertainty; messaging, data stewardship.
- Fundraising from 6 Feet Away: Tips for Making Your Giving Day an Online-Only Event: How to host an online “Giving Day” instead of an event.
- COVID-19 Amplifies the Need for Social Fundraising: Fundraise via Facebook, YouTube, user Livestreams and more.
- 5 Rapid-Fire Ideas to Fundraise During a Global Crisis: Tips include hosting a digital forum; building a call list and start reaching out; digital marketing; rescheduling or repurposing your event; creating a specific fundraising effort around your impact on coronavirus.
News about Funders
- Small Foundations Shifting Funding Due To COVID (Nonprofit Times): Exponent Philanthropy surveyed small foundations in April to learn how the organizations are handling COVID-19, with responses from more than 900 members.
- Current funding opportunities in the area of COVID-19: Current funding opportunities related to the Pandemic.
- Foundations Paying Out, Expect Deep Recession: What foundations are doing to prepare for an economic downturn and allocating funds based on COVID-19.
- Top Foundations Unite to Give Charities More Freedom Over Grants: A pledge, called A Call to Action: Philanthropy’s Commitment During Covid-19, consists of eight promises regarding grantmaking.
Advocacy & Government Assistance
- The sgENGAGE Podcast Episode 147: Diving Into the CARES Act with Independent Sector: Ben Kershaw of Independent Sector joins Blackbaud’s Government Relations Manager Sally Ehrenfried to answer questions about the CARES Act that especially concern nonprofit organizations.
- CARES Act: Information for Nonprofits: The IRS recently extended its tax filing and payment postponement relief to nonprofits. This summary highlights some key features of the recent legislation and guidance. (Article dated April 28, 2020)
- CARES Act: A Guide to Financial Resources for Nonprofits
- Bipartisan set of 28 California Assemblymembers urges Governor to act on nonprofit concerns: How you can seek state actions supporting nonprofits with government contracts, nonprofit employers and employees, and new funding.
- Breaking down the CARES Act: How the New Stimulus Bill Could Provide Relief for Social Good Organizations: An overview of six specific provisions of the CARES package that assists social good organizations as employers and mission-driven organizations.
- Mayor London Breed Announces Arts Relief Program: Grants and low-interest loans.
- Tips to Maintain Momentum for Your In-Person Fundraising Events Amidst COVID-19: Using technology to bring people together in creative ways.
- “This Too Shall Pass: Mourning Collective Loss in the Time of Covid-19″ by Collective Psychology Project: Essay on collective grieving.
- How To Preserve Your Mental Strength When Everything Is Uncertain: How to avoid counter-productive thinking.
- Resource Guide for SF Students and Parents During School Closures: Education tools for students, food for students, and more.