Founded in 1971, Save Mount Diablo, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt, California nonprofit organization, and nationally accredited land trust, acquires and preserves land on and around Mount Diablo. Reporting to the Development Director, the Communications Manager will work to guide the communications strategy and implement all external communications, website, public relations messages, and collateral to consistently articulate and support Save Mount Diablo’s mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop a multi-year plan to advance the organization’s mission, programs, and fundraising through the effective use of communications and marketing strategies.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications and marketing plan.
- Create content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate in order to maximize and grow the engagement of SMD supporters and other targeted constituent groups.
- Design and manage the distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, Save Mount Diablo’s website, and social media accounts.
- Curate webpage content—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly. Coordinate and manage administration, performance, and future development of website.
- Manage digital marketing channels including social media and email platforms.
- Track and measure the level of engagement within constituent networks over time.
- Prepare press releases and manage all media contacts.
- Respond to media requests and participate in public events as needed and always in support of the mission.
- Serve as one of the official spokespersons for the organization.
- Conduct event marketing by creating collateral and promotional support in order to drive participation.
- Ensure consistent use of branding by reviewing all materials containing the SMD logo/brand. Provide art direction to internal and external “clients” as needed.
- Manage relationships with vendors to ensure SMD standards, priorities, and project budgets are met.
- Represent Save Mount Diablo at external events for networking and relationship-building opportunities as appropriate.
- Engage and supervise volunteers to help with communications efforts.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Not applicable. May oversee communications interns and volunteers in the office and at events.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of best practices and effective strategies related to the marketing and communication activities of a mission-driven organization
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Solid graphic and web design experience
- Advanced competency in Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom, Illustrator, Acrobat, Spark, and Premiere