Development Manager, Events
We Propel Human Potential. SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students that come from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
SEO Scholars provides motivated, low-income public high school students with a rigorous out-of-school supplemental academic curriculum, college guidance, and the leadership development necessary to gain admission to, and succeed at, competitive colleges and universities. SEO Scholars San Francisco is the first expansion site for this program and aims to replicate for Bay Area students the stellar outcomes that the program has delivered in New York City. (Learn more here: SEO Scholars)
POSITION OVERVIEW & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Development Manager, Events is an integral member of a small, fast-paced team committed to executing our mission with excellence and conviction every day. The primary role of the Development Manager, Events is to cultivate key annual supporters and ensure all data, marketing, and communications resources are effectively supporting the development team’s stewardship/cultivation efforts. The position reports to the Associate Director of Development and partners with the Development Manager, Operations, Executive Director, and the New York Development team.
Annual Benefit Dinner (35%)
Lead all efforts to plan and execute the fall benefit dinner in coordination with local leadership and development teams, headquarters staff, and consultants. The goal for the dinner is $2.65m.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and oversee all solicitation efforts (save the date, invitations, advance registration) in coordination with the Associate Director of Development (ADoD), development team, and local development leadership.
- Oversee data entry (Salesforce), analytics, and revenue/expense reporting.
- Support volunteer leadership, including tracking guests, invitations, and recognition.
- Maintain vendor relationships, event budget, and vendor payments.
- Coordinate and communicate staff and volunteer assignment of event duties.
- Manage event program content as well as decor, stage design, A/V, and consultants.
- Provide on-site leadership and coordination for the day of the event.
- Manage a budget for the annual benefit dinner in partnership with ADoD.
Smaller Scale Events (30%):
- Plan, manage and execute donor-focused events (cocktail receptions, panel events, solicitation and cultivation dinners, corporate engagement events, advisory board meetings, and retreats) that deepen donor engagement and stimulate revenue growth.
- Develop unique programming that strongly reflects topics, themes, and impact of SEO Scholars to donors and potential donors.
- Coordinate all event logistics including print and online communications, vendor assignments and contracts, venues, catering, event materials, table assignments, registration, event show-calling, and follow-up strategies.
- Report progress and assignments to internal and external stakeholders in a proactive and professional manner.
- Develop and manage budgets related to smaller-scale development events.
Portfolio Management and General Development Support (35%):
- Manage, steward, and cultivate a portfolio of donors ($5k-9,999) to ensure regular communication and opportunities for engagement.
- In partnership with ADD, oversee stewardship opportunities for board and board contacts during and after major events (Achievement Benefit, cocktail receptions, etc).
- Coordinate with local staff to envision and execute communications strategies and vehicles that highlight the impact of SEO Scholars’ work to donors and potential donors with wide-ranging interests.
- Develop and maintain engagement plans for prospects, prior year sponsors, and night-of donors during major events.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5+ years of high-level event management or related experience required.
- Proven track record of securing support from individuals, foundations, and/or corporations.
- Creative, organized professional with demonstrated team-based fundraising success.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven successful project management and relationship-building skills.
- Proactive self-starter able to work both individually and as a member of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced, nonprofit setting.
- Familiarity with the local nonprofit and educational communities is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite and Salesforce (or other donor databases).
- Highly organized with exceptional attention to detail.
- Genuine commitment to the mission of SEO Scholars and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work.
In view of governmental vaccination mandates in areas we work, the pending federal vaccination mandate for large employers, as well as the guidance of the CDC that vaccination is the most effective means to provide a safe working and teaching environment, subject to applicable law, applicants who obtain a conditional job offer will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement before beginning employment with SEO.