Director of Advancement
The Director of Advancement is responsible for creating and administering a comprehensive program of fundraising and constituent relations efforts to advance the mission of the school. The Director will oversee all fundraising strategy and efforts, including the annual fund, capital campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, alumni relations, communications, grant writing and foundation support.
The Director reports to the Head of School. They will work in close partnership with the Head of School, the Board of Trustees, and the Parent Guardian Association, and are an integral member of a highly collaborative administrative leadership team.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of Advancement, including annual giving, parent/grandparent and alumni giving, major gifts, planned giving, alumni relations, special events, communications and marketing, corporate and foundation grants, and capital campaign planning, as needed.
- Manage and build Redwood Day’s major gifts portfolio of prospects capable of giving $10,000 or more.
- Work closely with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to strategically manage and solicit major gift donors.
- Provide expertise and staffing for the Head of School, Board of Trustees, Advancement Committee, and school personnel to establish short and long-term advancement goals, strategies, and objectives to achieve growth and sustainable resource outcomes.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Events and Advancement Coordinator in the execution of special events.
- Develop and manage constituent cultivation strategies and programs with particular emphasis on alumni development.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Data Manager to monitor Raiser’s Edge database functions, including accountability for integrity of its data.
- Facilitate and coordinate foundation/corporation cultivation, research and proposals.
- Work closely with prospects, donors, volunteers and board members to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward their gifts.
- Create and implement alumni relations, reunion giving and class giving activities and events.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Communications Manager on all communications and marketing related strategic initiatives
- Establish and maintain best practices as it relates to policies, systems, and procedures.
- Attend and support student and school activities on a regular basis.
- Represent the school to its various constituencies.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Five plus years’ experience in the advancement/development field; preferably in an independent school environment or a comparable non-profit, mission driven organization • Ability to strategically develop and execute fundraising projects
- An ability to cultivate, solicit, and secure major contributions
- Strong strategic planning skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Highly organized, capable of balancing and prioritizing concurrent projects and deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional team player
- Experience participating in Board level committees such as the Advancement Committee and Trustees Committee
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Maintain and implement advancement best practices
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Experience managing a team of diverse individuals and supervising functions such as events coordination, advancement data management and communications
- Experience with executing mobile and/or social media campaigns for fundraising
- Experience with developing and overseeing alternative giving programs
- Experience with alumni relations, reunion giving and other alumni-based programs and activities, a plus
- Experience with marketing and event management
- Willingness to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated proficiency with technology including Raisers Edge, MS Office products, wealth screening tools, Google docs, and other marketing tools • Deep commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity
- Demonstrated passion for the mission of Redwood Day School
TO APPLY To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
Redwood Day is an Equal Opportunity Employer