Director of Philanthropy
The Director of Philanthropy, Western Region is responsible for growing philanthropic support for American Rivers in California and the western states by identifying, cultivating soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects capable of making gifts of $10,000 or more annually. The Director of Philanthropy, Western Region, will possess a deep understanding of best practices in major gift philanthropy as well as the ability to see the big picture and translate strategy into targeted goals and actions.
The Director interacts with the President/CEO as well as board members and other leadership staff and volunteers.
- Develop and execute personalized solicitation strategies for each donor/prospect in assigned portfolio with information about specific initiatives, persons involved in each task and target dates for each purposeful action; track activities and information in CRM.
- Conduct a significant number of qualified contacts per month with donors and prospects to form and strengthen relationships for long-term support and engagement.
- Prepare and conduct donor briefings for President/CEO’s visits and solicitations.
- Prepare personalized correspondence; solicitation and briefing materials; and other items for face-to-face meetings and other donor interactions.
- Solicit assigned prospects to meet or exceed annual fundraising targets, as specified in annual budget and work plan.
- Build a robust portfolio of qualified major donors and prospects through networking and by utilizing prospect research.
- In conjunction with regional staff, recruit and manage high-profile volunteers, who contribute personally significant gifts, to serve on the California River Council; cultivate and solicit members of their networks for major gifts.
- Ensure River Council members are appropriately supported and trained on American Rivers programs and opportunities. Manage and engage River Council members through regular committee and individual interactions, meeting preparation and general support.
- Develop and execute an annual work plan for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects for major and planned gifts in assigned region.
- Work closely with the major gifts team on strategy for the overall major donor program as well as for individual prospects.
- Ensure that donor contact reports are compiled and maintained; maintain up-to-date CRM reports and contact log.
- Assist Senior Director of Philanthropy in developing the major gift division’s overall plan and procedures.
- Seven to ten years significant major gifts fundraising experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred or an appropriate combination of education and at least 10 years of relevant experience in sales or business development working with high net worth clients
- History of closing five+ figure gifts or sales/ marketing accounts, including the ability to evaluate, qualify, and move prospects through the identification, cultivation and solicitation cycle
- Understanding of planned giving principles and vehicles; and ability to coordinate interactions with donors to facilitate a deferred gift
- Experience interacting with high-net worth individuals and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills coupled with strong writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency with donor database/CRM applications (ROI preferred)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent planning and organizational skills as well as the ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Ability to travel frequently and to work outside of normal business hours to meet donors and attend functions
- Other duties as required
- Passion for and personal commitment to the mission of American Rivers
TO APPLY To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at email@example.com. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.