The Grants Manager works with CFJ’s four-person development team and the executive director to lead CFJ’s foundation fundraising activities. This position reports to the Senior Strategic Partnerships Director and works closely with the Development Associate and Communications Manager. The position is full-time and non-exempt.
- Foundation Fundraising (75%)
- Write and submit foundation grant proposals and reports, currently approximately 50 per year, and expected to grow. Individualize each proposal/report to that particular funder.
- Manage current and prospective foundation portfolios and deadlines
- Work with program staff to track grant deliverables
- Communicate with current and prospective funders to coordinate visits between funders and the strategic partnerships director and executive director, share information, and respond to requests
- Conduct grant prospecting, research, and develop agenda for funder visits
- Work with administrative and finance staff to reconcile grant and donation records with financial records, and maintain accurate and up-to-date funder and donor files
- Participate in occasional funder driven projects as a representative of the organization
- Communications (10%)
Support the communications team to correspond with CFJ’s 17,000 online supporters via email and social media.
- Copy edit all blog posts and emails created by the Communications Manager including checking for correct grammar, punctuation, and formatting.
- Produce stories reflective of CFJ fundraising perspective once a month
- Participate in bi-weekly, quarterly, and annual communications team meetings to identify annual and event-specific communications strategies and tactics, particularly for increasing fundraising and donor engagement.
- Support special projects as needed – projects may include interviewing youth leaders for articles, calling media outlets, attending events to support social media posting and photography.
- Grassroots Fundraising (10%)
CFJ’s Development Associate coordinates CFJ’s grassroots (individual) fundraising efforts. The Grant Manager’s role is to:
- Work with the Development Associate to coordinate planning for our annual fundraising events held in each of our four regions.
- Support the Development Associate to manage individual and organizational donor relationships, including reviewing donor materials and responding to donor requests
- Organizational Responsibilities (5%)
- Model leadership and participation in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams.
- Provide support and participation for organization-wide and some regional campaign events.
- 2+ years in direct grant writing and grant management experience
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, with experience simplifying complex information for different audiences. Must enjoy writing!
- Interpersonal skills to develop relationships with staff to foster collaboration and mutual accountability.
- Demonstrated project management skills, including ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and projects
- Ability and satisfaction working independently; ability to drive your own work
- Good judgment and decision-making, particularly in your interactions with foundations
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice, and youth empowerment
- “Good ear” – ability to continuously listen for relevant program information and integrate it into CFJ’s fundraising strategies and grant proposals/reports
Currently, all CFJ staff are working virtually in the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Upon returning to in-person operations (timing TBD), the position will be located in one of CFJ’s four regional offices in Fresno, Long Beach, Oakland, or San Jose.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time. Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly in English on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
$28.38 – $33.99 per hour (approximate annual earnings of $59,000 – $70,700, plus overtime), depending on experience and qualifications as determined by CFJ’s salary scale. CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
How to Apply:
Send a brief writing sample (if available, a grant application or report), your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Grants Manager – Your Name.”