Senior Manager, Membership
The Senior Manager, Membership oversees stewardship of more than 13,000 donors giving up to $1,500 annually while developing strategies to grow the SFJAZZ membership community. The role is focused on creating engaging membership campaigns and providing vision, coaching, and supervision for a Donor Services team of three. Success in this role includes the ability to inspire thoughtful collaboration with staff in the Development, Marketing, Box Office, Operations, and Artistic departments and a strong understanding of the motivations of a curious, diverse, and deeply engaged base of music fans.
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 37-year-old non-profit organization now crafts distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The budget for the 2019-20 Season is $19 million, with more than half of revenue coming from ticket sales.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES to comprise scope of work include:
- Develop and implement ambitious annual plans and campaigns for the acquisition and retention of Members giving $25 – $1,499 annually.
- With the Director of Development, a long-term program strategy that aligns with the organization’s vision and strategic plan.
- Supervise the Donor Services team, ensuring successful execution of all member appeals, renewals, pledge reminders, and event invitations via mail, email, and phone.
- Conceive collateral materials in promotion of the membership program, including renewal and acquisition marketing, benefits development and descriptions, and customer service communications.
- Facilitate meetings, timelines, and communication between Development, Marketing, consultants and vendors in the successful the design and production of membership collateral.
- Create, track and report on membership revenue and expenses. Analyze membership trends and direct response; Implement decisions that will grow membership and deepen donor engagement.
- Research, identify, and develop new strategies for increasing giving amongst current donors, reinstating lapsed donors, and acquiring new donors.
- Coordinate fulfillment of benefits and stewardship for Members.
- Produce Member-Only events, including Listening Parties, in collaboration with Development and Production events staff.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service for all current and prospective donors, including handling of sensitive customer service issues and the training of staff in customer service policies and techniques.
- Collaborate with Marketing in creating and maintaining a strong membership message across SFJAZZ.org and related sites, as well as social media.
- Attend cultivation, educational, and artistic events in order to meet Members, represent the organization, and remain familiar with the constituent experience.
- Collaborate with Leaders Circle staff in upgrading Members to Leaders Circle levels.
- Represent SFJAZZ in the concert halls and in the community, and at donor events.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may expand to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Three to five years experience running a successful membership/loyalty program for a cultural or entertainment organization, with significant direct marketing campaigns.
- Strong attention to detail, the ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects.
- Demonstrated familiarity with direct response analysis and A/B testing techniques.
- Ability to work well with diverse personalities across position levels and departments.
- Extensive experience with customer relationship management databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Interest in jazz and related music.
The work schedule varies from customary office hours to unpredictable hours, with the potential for long hours during critical periods and special events. This job occasionally requires work during evenings and weekends.
The salary will be based upon professional and academic experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Writing and other work samples are welcome. Mention “Senior Manager, Membership” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position filled.