THIS POSITION IS BASED IN SAN FRANCISCO, CA. IT IS REMOTE BUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST RESIDE IN THE BAY AREA.
ABOUT ALLIANCE FOR GIRLS
AFG invites candidates to join an organization that is relentless in its mission to improve the lives of girls* on the margins through collective action. As the nation’s largest association of girls’ organizations and school partners, AFG’s 130 organizations and 60 champions serve 300,000 girls and gender-expansive youth annually – 83% of whom are girls of color – across nine Bay Area counties and LA County. AFG knits together a powerful girls’ service and leadership sector where girls’ needs are met, and their power is amplified.
“Listen first, act together” is AFG’s motto. AFG listens to their members, service providers, and educators, leveraging hundreds of years of direct experience. They amplify the voices of girls and gender-expansive youth to guide strategic direction. AFG believes that those closest to the struggle are closest to the solution. AFG strives to create a culture of self and communal care, grounded in values of equity and justice, through internal operations and external impact. AFG is constantly imagining, thinking and planning processes and approaches that enable excellence in its work and enhance collaboration among its team and partners.
Alliance for Girls’ unique combination of girl and community-driven research, coordinated initiatives driven by the intellectual and cultural power of its membership and school partners, and focused and inspired public advocacy enable AFG to affect deep and lasting change that directly improves the lives of girls and the systems that impact them.
*At Alliance for Girls, “girls” refers to gender expansive youth (cis girls, trans girls, non-binary youth, gender non-conforming youth, gender queer youth and any girl-identified youth).
For more information, please visit www.alliance4girls.org/
Alliance for Girls seeks a dynamic, visionary, and strategic Executive Director (ED) to build on 10 years of impact and move the organization to its next chapter. The ED carries primary responsibility for the strategic vision, fundraising, and sustaining the coalitions and partnerships that are the work of AFG. The ED will work closely and collaboratively with the Board of Directors and staff to provide compassionate leadership and advocacy for AFG.
The Executive Director works closely with the Board of Directors. AFG has a team of eight full-time and two part-time staff members. The ED currently has two direct reports.
Salary range is $150,000 – $175,000
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% coverage of premiums
- 34 days of paid vacation and sick days: 10 days’ vacation, 10 sick days, national holidays, and the week between Christmas and New Years Day
- 4.5 day work week with half day Fridays
- Flexible schedule (some staff work from 7 am – 3 pm) and hybrid work model
- $50 wellness stipend per month
- $50 cellphone and technology use stipend per month
- $500 for professional development per year
- 401K program: AFG provides a Safe Harbor Program (non-elective) contribution of 3% of compensation to all eligible employees
- The opportunity to drive transformational change in the lives of girls and gender-expansive youth by facilitating collective action and systemic change
YOU ARE A
- Compassionate relationship builder with a talent for partnering with diverse leaders and stakeholders.
- Dynamic, visionary strategist who is passionate about the mission.
- Tenacious, community-centric director who endeavors to understand the needs of girls and gender expansive youth.
- An experienced major gifts and institutional fundraiser with a passion for engaging donors in the mission.
- Leadership + Management
- Partner successfully with the Board of Directors and staff to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Lead and nurture relationships with key stakeholders.
- Drive challenges to solutions with a positive, proactive attitude.
- Nurture, support and promote staff to ensure their success and growth.
- Develop, serve and increase membership and ensure AFG continues to serve girls and gender expansive youth.
- Financial Planning + Fundraising
- Provide general oversight of the organization’s contributed revenue activities and operations and plan, monitor, and review the success of activities through coordination with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward donors and funders to grow the annual donor base and organizational revenue.
- Maintain current knowledge of fundraising/communications best practices and share knowledge with staff.
- Manage $2M annual operating budget in coordination with Director of Finance and Administration and Board of Directors.
- Enthusiasm and passion for the mission of Alliance for Girls
- Fluency in concepts of gender, racial equity, and intersectionality
- Seven or more years of progressively challenging experience as a nonprofit leader
- Entrepreneurial, tenacious leader with strong interpersonal skills who inspires others to do their best in service of the community
- Fundraising experience, particularly with institutional, government, and major donors
- Demonstrated success working directly with Board Members
- Understanding of how to use research to drive organizational vision and shape and drive advocacy programs
- Appreciation of the nuances of membership organizations and associations
- Ability to effectively create and manage budgets and resources
- Demonstrated skills in public speaking, networking, and community relations
- Proven success implementing a strategic vision and overseeing program progress
- BA or equivalent work experience desired
Alliance for Girls is committed to an equitable recruiting and hiring process. We aim to attract a diverse group of candidates by posting job openings on a wide variety of platforms, and by sharing them through our member and partner networks. We will also ensure each position remains open until we have a mix of qualified finalists who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. The hiring process will be inclusive as we engage a range of team members to conduct interviews. In addition, we value lived experience on par with professional employment.