Fit Kids is seeking an experienced Executive Director who will be committed to advancing its mission to provide structured physical activity programs to underserved children to build the foundation for a healthy, active life.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading, administering and directing, all operations of Fit Kids. Within the framework of delegated authority and consistent with organizational policies and procedures, ensures the quality of programs, sound fiscal operation, and good management of all internal and external affairs, thereby providing a point of accountability for all activities. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the overall administration, programs and strategic plans of the organization. Other key oversight duties include developing a fundraising strategy, ensuring Fit Kids messaging is clear and in alignment with organizational objectives, and acting as the key point of contact for all strategic partnerships. A strong candidate for this important position will have a proven track record of leading teams, a positive attitude, clear and strong communications skills, passion for and commitment to a healthy and fit lifestyle, and awareness of fitness’ impact on the lives of young people.
“This is a great opportunity to build a team at Fit Kids and help grow the organization”
– Ashley Hunter, Founder
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and manages an administrative staff of two full-time and five part-time employees. An additional full-time staff member will start in January.
- Develops strategies and programs that will motivate donors and partners to support Fit Kids to maximize earned and contributed revenues.
- Acts as the lead fundraiser who mobilizes staff and volunteers in fundraising activities, including the annual fund drive, corporate sponsorships, special events, endowment campaigns, developing a planned giving program, and personally identifying and cultivating donor relationships.
- Creates and implements innovative marketing strategies designed to attract and retain new partnerships and donors and friends.
- Oversees the grant program including working with a contract grant writer to prepare and submit grant applications and reports to foundations, corporations, and government agencies.
- Evaluates and implements potential new revenue generating opportunities.
- Acts as the lead spokesperson in collaboration with the Board President and maintains effective communications and public relations with the press, donors, funders, community groups, and volunteers.
- Provides day-to-day oversight for the administrative staff to assure that they are properly focused and led to achieve the expected business results.
- Directs the business management of Fit Kids and is responsible to assure adherence to its annual operating budget.
- Establishes and implements short-term operational and long-range strategic business plans to ensure the financial stability of the organization.
- Mentors and manages the staff; encourages and empowers staff to perform at their highest ability; evaluates and holds staff accountable.
Governance and Financial Management
- Provides support to best utilize the talents and resources of the Board, recruit new members, and work closely with the Board to ensure strong fiscal health and effective governance of the organization.
- Prepares the annual budget in coordination with the Finance Committee and ensures that the projections are consistent with the strategic goals of Fit Kids.
- Is responsible for monitoring and reporting to the finance committee budget compliance relative to both revenues and expenditures.
- Participates in the investment policies and practices of Fit Kids and works with the outside investment manager to assure that the funds entrusted to the organization by its donors are appropriately monitored and managed according to the wishes of the donors.
- Reviews the monthly financial statement prepared by Fit Kids’ accounting firm for accuracy and ensures that reviews are completed annually in satisfaction of the needs of granting organizations.
- Five or more years of senior management experience in a non-profit organization
- Bachelor’s degree required (master’s degree preferred), or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong strategic and financial planning skills
- Ability to lead and make decisions during periods of uncertainty (i.e. pandemics, etc.)
- Proven track record of working with a culturally diverse population of patrons, community leaders, board members, volunteers, and staff
- Ability to work respectfully and closely in a partnership manner with various colleagues and entities
- Experience with raising funds from private sources including individuals, foundations, corporations, and working knowledge of planned giving techniques and vehicles, highly valued
- Experience with and knowledge of institutional image-building, marketing, and external relations, including the skills needed to move initiatives forward in each of these areas
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite, Google suite and more
- Unquestioned integrity, professional demeanor, and authenticity in building relationships with, and inspiring best effort from board, staff, donors, and partners
- Donor management software (CRM) experience, Charity Proud experience would be helpful
- Entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated ability to “think outside of the box” in response to changing demographics and trends in the industry
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Ability to identify opportunities for and develop lasting strategic partnerships
- Ability to give direction and guidance and enforce policies and regulations
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Fit Kids
- The position requires the ability to work some evenings and weekends, as needed
- Experience working with a an organization dedicated to youth
- Lived experience in athletics
- General HR, legal, and finance knowledge
All Fit Kids Employees are fully vaccinated and boosted.
Salary or Salary Range
The salary range for this position is $140,000 – $160,000 plus plus benefits including fully paid health insurance for candidate and their dependents by United Healthcare PPO, Dental and vision, three weeks’ paid vacation per year. All National holidays and winter holidays.