The VP of Development is responsible for leading development and execution of comprehensive fundraising strategies from diverse sources to grow the contributed revenue of the agency. The VP of Development will establish clear fundraising goals working alongside the CEO and Executive Team. This leader will plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate strategies to achieve these goals. This position has three direct reports: the Director of Marketing, Events and Engagement Manager, and the Compliance & Grants Manager. A variety of pro bono supports, volunteers, and contracted resources supplement the team in key areas, notably grant writing, story generation, digital campaigns, social media, graphic design, and communications.
This is the right opportunity if you are ready to:
- build and scale innovative partnerships that mobilize resources across sectors and donor types
- lead fund development to new heights and prioritize growing the agency’s annual fund to $3M over the next three years
- act as a key thought-partner to the CEO and implementer with program leadership to help diversify revenue streams
- be a guiding force in achieving a resilient and sustainable agency fostering better outcomes in community for people of low income
Position reports to the CEO and is a member of the agency’s Executive Team.
- Working with the CEO, maintain and grow a portfolio of donors and prospects capable of giving $5,000 or more annually, including individual and family foundations.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual major and legacy gifts.
- Leverage multi-channel fundraising, as well as sponsorships, individual and major donors, planned giving, and special events, to create a sustainable annual fund.
- Support the CEO with major gift prospects, a donor solicitation, and legacy donor responsibilities, including crafting strategies for solicitations and participating on solicitation calls as appropriate.
- Build a culture of philanthropy, internally and externally, that will attract staff, board members, and donors to the organization and inspire excellence in donor relations and fundraising.
- Lead the board’s education and training in fund development in service to their fundraising goals and the agency’s objectives.
- Oversee all fund development strategies, including work with the Director of Marketing on execution of direct mail and online solicitations, in addition to regular constituent engagement pieces, through both traditional and new media channels.
- Oversee work to strengthen use of Raiser’s Edge as a cross-agency tool to ensure high integrity of data collection; work with development and program staff to maintain relationship records.
- Support executive- and director-level staff with 15% of their time allocation for fund development.
- Coordinate with CFO and VPs of programs to ensure appropriate gifts, contracts, and grants processes, accounting, and transparency.
- Evaluate and implement internal systems, metrics, policies, and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness for the agency’s fund development efforts.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Commitment and passion for the agency’s mission
- At least 10 years of experience in fund development or business development with demonstrated success in donor/partner management and strategy and innovative partner and donor engagement efforts
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred, or equivalent experience
- Ethical leadership required as given in the International Statement of Ethical Principles in Fundraising
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred; fundraising software knowledge required
- Professional experience in nonprofit leadership, with demonstrated success achieving goals
- Comfort with public speaking, presentations, and direct solicitations
- Tangible experience of having expanded and sustained donor relationships over time
- Direct work experience training and supporting boards in fundraising excellence
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and audiences
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Deep understanding – and ability to articulate – the role equity, inclusion, and diversity plays in our work
SALARY OR SALARY RANGE
The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $175,000 plus full benefits.
To demonstrate our commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cook Silverman Search posts salary ranges on all of its job descriptions. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender wage gap and discriminates against people of color by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
COMMUNITY ACTION MARIN’S RACIAL EQUITY COMMITMENT
“As a leading employer in the county with 200 employees, Community Action Marin is transparent around the race and gender makeup of our staff, leadership, and board of directors. We also seek to attract, retain, nurture, and grow a diverse workforce. Additionally, we strive to be welcoming and inclusive in our policies and practices, with mindfulness on equity to ensure that people of color and people of low income are supported and have equal access to opportunities throughout our agency. We follow these same guidelines in the initiatives we pursue in our community.”